Monday, October 1, 2007

A Meeting at Planned Parenthood

UPDATE: The meeting went very well. I expressed interest in perhaps working full-time for Planned Parenthood at some time in the future and was given a positive response. I will be volunteering on Mondays and Tuesdays for the time being (perhaps some Saturdays) and then I'll slowly work up to maybe getting a paid position there. It's pretty exciting. ^_^ I won't give up on my Japanese but if I am working at a job that I enjoy then perhaps translating part-time would be the plan. But... nothing official has happened yet, of course. We'll see how it goes. Hooray for Planned Parenthood, though! 3 Cheers!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Although I haven't mentioned it on this blog, I am doing an internship for one of the state representatives here (I won't mention the name so that they are not associated with this blog in any way). It's going well and I am getting the opportunity to meet many people that I would otherwise probably not meet (especially because I am in a state in which I did not grow up in and feel no sincere connection to).

Today, I have a meeting with the staff of Planned Parenthood as well as another state representative who works with the organization. I must say that I haven't ever been so excited about a meeting. If there is any field that has nothing to do with Japanese translation that I would love to get into it would be sexual education and women's health (in a non-doctor kind of way).

feminine

That's how he broke his arm.

I told my boyfriend this weekend that I must be so excited because of the thought of being in a job where people want to blow me up or shoot me. He said he thinks it's more of the "helping and educating people" thing but... bah! what does he know!

I don't mean to imply that I am getting a job at Planned Parenthood BUT... I do plan on keeping in contact and if a position were to become available (in which I would make more money than I do now or in the near future) then I would jump at the chance. Sexual education (especially of my fellow females) is really important to me. I think it is the first step in making sure a society is healthy, happy, tolerant, and educated in general and it is the one thing that I get really angry about when I see people (fundies) trying to stop it "for the children" and out of their own ridiculous and inexcusable ignorance. If I am unable to work in translation then I would love to work in this field.

Strangely enough, I have never really been in a Planned Parenthood. I went to a women's health clinic at one point but I don't believe it was a Planned Parenthood clinic so although I know what they are about and what they do and what good they do for the community... I have never been inside one and have never seen the inner-workings (I could easily count this as a good thing and give a thumbs up to my birth control which has worked wonderfully in more ways than one for the past six years). Many people falsely believe it is just an abortion clinic where people go to "murder babies" and be encouraged to have premarital sex. Luckily, I know the truth as well as a bit more about what they actually do there. So I am going with happy butterflies in my stomach and a real sense of excitement that I don't usually feel with "every day activities" (like the kind of excitement that I felt before I left for Japan). If anything special happens I'll probably write about it but it might be a fairly standard meeting. Though I do have to go through some kind of orientation or training or something... we'll see what that is all about.

*Click Here to Leave Comments at Nicest-Girl.Com*